Friday, August 22, 2008

Personal History--My Dad's story


I believe that everyone has a story to tell, and from everyone there are lessons we can learn. Since my father's death, I truly regret the lost wisdom and especially the stories of his everyday ordinary and courageous life.
A proud moment for me was writing and delivering his eulogy, as he was not an easy man and had deep unshakable beliefs that had caused estrangement in our family. Writing his obituary, which was chosen as the lead in the Sunday Cincinnati Enquirer brought a certain healing and closure, as he would often say "you should be a writer".
Since that time, I have been trying to get involved with capturing people's personal histories. I easily develop a rapport with strangers, and am excellent at eliciting information, with thoughtful, well timed questions and follow up.
I would love to talk with you and discuss how we might work together to tell either your own story or a loved one's personal story.
If you would like to see a partial (edited for length and personal content) demo of my work, click here.




Barbara H. Vaughan
Member, Association of Personal Historians

No comments: