Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Ellis Island Heritage Award and "The Boss"

My lifetime crush Bruce Springsteen was recently awarded the Ellis Island Family Heritage Award for his "major contribution to the American experience." In accepting the award he repeated the often said "You can't really know who you are...unless you know where you came from". (His great grandmother arrived at Ellis Island from Italy with 5 kids in 1900.)
It reminded me to stop procrastinating and thinking I could "do it later". So I booked that flight and am off to California to see and record my 84 year old aunt, who has lived a life so different from my own. I need to learn her story of a life on a cattle ranch, raising 2 wonderful daughters, her struggles with MS, and hopefully ...maybe... a bit more about her sister, my birth mother.
So think about where you really want to go on your vacation this year. It might be best spent making connections with your past.
It may help you know where you are going.

No comments: